- Buy clothes that flatter your figure and not just ones that are fashionable (this is a good way to learn the distinction between stylish and fashionable). For instance, if you have wide hips then skinny jeans will not suit you at all. Buy jeans and pants that have a slight flare at the bottom to balance out your look.
- Pick up classic pieces that can be used in different ways to create myriad looks. A well-fitting blazer or a wonderful pair of pants can be matched with many other clothes. The blazer, for instance, looks entirely different when worn with a flowing skirt instead of trousers. Your wardrobe should also contain a good leather jacket, a well-cut knee length skirt and a classic sheath dress in black (or navy blue or brown).
- Get rid of things that have been sitting in your wardrobe for too long. Face it, some things will never come back in style again (think jackets with pointy shoulder pads). Besides, you’ll need to review the colors and styles you wear as you become older and also based upon what is going on in the fashion scene.
- Buy the right accessories. Even if you have only one handbag or a pair of sunglasses make sure that they are absolutely gorgeous and unique. You can transform the look of everyday clothes with a lovely scarf or a stylish belt. Vintage and thrift stores are great places to go looking for stylish things at great prices.
- Maintain your clothes (and yourself) impeccably. All the effort put into buying the right clothes will go down the drain if you look an absolute mess in them. You will not look anything but polished if you are well-groomed.
Once you take the trouble to look stylish daily then you’ll feel confident about taking bigger fashion risks. Over time, you will be able to create a style that is uniquely yours.