For most occasions it is often better to err on the side of being overdressed rather than underdressed. However a beach is the one place where it is glaring obvious if you have grossly misjudged the expected dress attire. So here are some tips on what to wear to a beach wedding:
- First, look at the invitation for a stated dress code. If it is not on the invitation, then you can find out by contacting someone. Generally, the bride is busy with wedding details so it often appreciated if you contact the Mother of the Bride or the Maid of Honor to find out the dress code for the event.
- If asking for the dress code leaves you with vague answers then you need to go to the standard beach wedding guest uniform… a nice dress with stylish sandals. Wear a dress that is slightly more formal than a dress you would wear to a backyard barbecue. For sandals, you don’t want to wear your normal flip-flops. Try something a little fancier with a little bit of embellishment on the sandal. Because you will be walking through the sand, it is not required to wear a heel.
- Another option is a skirt with a tank top. You want a skirt that is a little flowy and will look great blowing in the ocean breeze. For a tank top, you want to choose one in a a lightweight fabric like silk. To dress up the outfit, pair the tank top with a great statement necklace that will bring some panache to your top. For example, if you are wearing a blue silk tank top pair it with a great statement emerald necklace or take a cue from your surroundings and wear with a chunky coral necklace.
- Jewelry should be kept simple. This is not a Royal Wedding so there is not need to arrive dripping with jewels. Wear one statement piece and keep everything else simple. For example, if you are wearing a statement necklace, be careful of over-accessorizing with a large ring, a blinged-out bracelet, and earrings so large they could have their own zip code.
- The ocean breeze can also reek havoc on your hair, so make sure to choose a style that will look equally good when it is windswept. Otherwise, you may be forced to tear a page out of someone’s wedding album when you see that your hair is forever memorialized as “woman who looks as it she was attacked by a pelican.”
Make choosing what to wear to a beach wedding easy on yourself by following those simple tips. A beach wedding is light casual and evokes the natural relaxation that comes from the beautiful ocean landscape. Remember that feeling, let it inspire your wardrobe choices, and you will be sitting pretty at your next beach wedding.